Finding your simple pleasures throughout the year
i love the holiday season and am always a bit sad when it’s over. And although Halloween through Christmas and New Years is a really big deal for me and our family, there are events and traditions throughout the year I equally look forward to.
Last year at this time I started a running list of the annual simple pleasures I always look forward to, throughout the year. I was surprised at how big the list was, and I found that writing it down not only increased my appreciation for things big and small, but also increased my anticipation and enjoyment of those same events and traditions coming back this year (and the next, and the next…).
A few samples from my list:
- January: Watching the Rose Bowl parade with the kids
- February: Pitchers and catchers report to spring training (and Girl Scout Cookies are out!)
- April: The Masters
- June: Beth’s roses start to bloom in ernest
- July: Long, lingering warm evenings in Seattle (sunsets after 9:30 pm!)
- August: Blue Angels over Lake Washington for Seafair weekend
- September: College football begins again
- October: Cold enough to start fires in the fireplace again
- November; Start playing Christmas music
I highly recommend starting a “simple pleasures” list of your own this year.
Sometimes it really is the little things in life…